Monday, December 4, 2006

Eye test

I didn’t pass my eye exam today ..each letter on the chart kept changing like flashcards ..a ‘G’ became a ‘Q’ ..then a ‘C’ ..then a ‘D’ ..and I didn’t know which one to choose. So I decide to blurt out the first letter I see before it turns into another one. The doctor says I should have 20/20 vision in that eye ..something else must be wrong ..then he asks me if I’m trying as hard as I can ..like I’m some kind of test taking slacker. He sends me to the neurologist who tells me I have a ‘transmission gap’ between my eyes and brain where information gets lost ..and only part of the letter makes it through OK. When this happens, my brain has fewer clues to go by so it’s forced to do a more extensive memory search and present me with a larger list of possible candidates ..flashing them one-by-one inside my head. Fortunately this problem is confined to eye charts because, in the real world, I see letters in the context of words ..which gives my brain a lot more information to go by ..narrowing down the search considerably ..and helping me recognize letters fast enough to read fluently ..more or less ..I guess.

No comments: