Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Northwesterlies

It’s cold and watery here ..a ‘northwesterly condition’ ..I hate it ..it’s been raining for several days now ..keeping me off the hiking trail. I’m getting edgy. To pass the time I’m reading a book written by another hiker ..thinking it’ll make me feel better. It doesn’t. Only reinforces my feelings of confinement. To make matters worse, it makes me realize what a complete wuss I am. These guys are on an expedition through the Himalayas ..it rains every day ..the only time it isn’t raining is when they’re going over a high-altitude pass ..then they’re climbing through waist-deep snow. What am I doing ? ..sitting here reading ..sipping tea ..watching the clouds roll by ..thermostat up high ..and bitching. I like what it says here though ..you either make peace with the Himalayas ..or get consumed by them.

No comments: