Tuesday, March 28, 2006

New tune

When I got up this morning everything seemed normal. It wasn’t until I got on the road that I noticed this loud humming sound. I pulled over to listen to the engine but it wasn’t coming from there ..sounded as if it were coming from everywhere. I arrive at work and people are like: i ee owaah oo ..? and I’m like: whaaa ..? and they’re like: ouiii ee !! and I’m like: huh ..? Why is everybody talking in gibberish ..? What’s happening ..? The meeting this morning went the same way .. that's not too unusual ..although I think my name is ‘ee’ now ..I’ll have to remember that. I go back to my desk to try and figure out what’s going wrong ..something’s missing ..I tap my pencil on the desktop ..it makes no sound ..I can’t hear the beat ..that’s it ..!! I’m missing consonants ..that's why everybody's speech sounds like fluctuating tones with breaks in all the wrong places. After awhile I learn how to feel the vibration of consonants .. almost like a bass drum. Also, if I look closely enough ..I can see it in the way people move their mouth ..or the way their facial expressions change. Suddenly, like adjusting the focus on a pair of binoculars ..I can understand what people are saying again.

I wrote this to get a sense of what it’s like for someone suffering with selective hearing loss. I know that it takes a lot longer to learn how to compensate for it than what I've described.

2 comments:

NeverEnough said...

I suffer from selective hearing sometimes too :(

Sister Nancy said...

My hearing is actually just shot.