Friday, January 24, 2014

Esalen

(Rich ducked out of here yesterday. When I got back from the bath’s last night  his stuff was gone. Perhaps he and Gail went someplace more private.) 
Workshop ~ We’ve been asked to pair up and talk about the ‘work’ we’ve been doing here. Soo’s from Singapore. She says coming to Esalen was a big shock. “In Singapore, we don’t feel nearly as free to express ourselves as people do here. We’re afraid of contradicting ourselves so we stick with the ‘facts’. My ‘work’ here has been to be more open but it’s terrifying. I’m always afraid someone will catch me in a lie.” I’m surprised to hear this .. she always looks so serene and self-assured. And I thought my work was daunting. It’s going to sound so trivial. Something about loosening up. Fortunately we run out of time and I’m spared the embarrassment. Soo says we can meet in the lodge and continue, if I want.
Continues here ~> Mary Goldenson

No comments: