Sunday, January 26, 2014

Esalen

Day eight ~ I’m having breakfast and listening to Tania, a work-scholar from Russia, tell me about her mediation practice. She is drop-dead gorgeous ..with a hypnotic accent. I don’t remember a thing she said ..but I do remember the way she waved her hand in a circle above her head to describe how her thoughts go ‘off-track’ while she’s meditating. I believe I told her that mine do too ..but I can’t be sure. Now I' m laughing at something another work-scholar said: “ ..slap your money down ..turn your life around” referring to ‘seminarians’ (like me). Work-scholars live and work here while seminarians drop by for quickie retreats. I often hang with the work-scholars and sometimes get stoned with them. Because of my hair and overall appearance I'm often mistaken for one. So I hear where they’re coming from.

Gail from Benedict Canyon is here too. She heard this and feels insulted ..as if we’re stupid enough to believe a single visit can be a life changing experience. She’s hurt and I think she's taking things a little too personally. I try explaining how work-scholars often feel like second-class citizens ..cleaning rooms, gardening, that sort of thing, when I realize that’s not what’s bothering her. She came here looking for a date and thought she was having one with Rich (my roommate). But he left earlier this week with a much younger girl he met at the baths. She’s been sitting here chain-smoking for almost two hours.

No comments: