Sunday, April 28, 2013

Vigil

Day fifteen: Vanessa and I arrive anxiously at 10 A.M. in ICU. We’re greeted with welcome news. The CT scan this morning (12 hours post endoscope) shows no change in fluid levels, which is good. Since the external drain is still clamped this means she’s draining on her own. I feel greatly relieved. No more surgeries ..no artificial drain. Another CT scan tomorrow (at 24 hours) should clinch the deal and she’ll be released from ICU. I go upstairs for coffee and breakfast. Vanessa goes home to catch up on things and get some much-needed sleep. Her husband Dustin who’s been keeping track says she should get at least 4 hours to fortify herself for the upcoming workweek. 

I take a walk in the woods ..find a bench and practice some deep breathing and progressive relaxation exercises. I return to the room where Nurse Jean has transferred Laura to a specially designed chair and I feed Laura lunch. Afterwards we watch ‘pawn shop’ on the history channel ..a favorite of Laura’s. She likes to watch the negotiations. I explain why a dollar bill printed by Benjamin Franklin prior to 1776 is worth $8,000.00. A hand-held sundial made in the 17th century by Hans Troschel is worth $6,000. 00. The owner decides to keep it. I tell her it was made in my mother’s hometown of Nürnberg Germany. Laura’s eyes widen. After 2 hours of this she is ready for bed.

I take another walk in the woods ..eat lunch then return where I lie between a couple of chairs next to Laura. I wake up freezing. They keep the temperature of the room at 60 degrees. I go down to the lobby and sit by the fire but it doesn’t help. I return to the room where Vanessa and Dustin have arrived with the baby. Laura looks more lively and alert than ever. She’s answering questions with spot-on accuracy. She knows what’s happening ..just needs the energy to express it. Warms my heart but my bones are still chilled. Vanessa rounds up some heated blankets, which help tremendously. When the nurse picks up and empties two liter-bottles of urine ..Laura looks surprised. She goes: “I didn’t feel that” ..which tells me she has good body awareness to know she didn’t sense it. The nurse explains that after two weeks of assistance you become less sensitive to the fullness of your bladder.

No comments: