Friday, May 18, 2012

Expectation

The journal Nature reports that expectation of a sensory event can increase the speed and accuracy we perceive it [ link ]. “Animals are not passive spectators of the sensory world in which they live. In natural conditions they often sense objects on the bases of expectations initiated by predictive cues. Expectation profoundly modulates neural activity by altering the background state of cortical networks and modulating sensory processing” [ link ].
Expectations alter perception ..I know this from my own practice. Expectations amplify and channel speech perception. Listeners have to take a moment to adjust when speakers say something that defies expectation. This study shows that the same holds true for taste. In one sense experiences arrive one by one, always fresh and new, but over time they become familiar re-enactments of prior experience. For instance I like yogurt for breakfast ..so I say it’s good and look forward to it when I get up in the morning. Good is a property I supply as something I experienced so long ago I don’t remember. It’s no longer fresh and new but an experience that my expectations enhance.

11 comments:

fessell810 said...

the first thing to cross my mind was coffee.

Bill Robertson said...

Yogurt and coffee ..and I can skip the yogurt

Bill Robertson said...

ESP for survival ..that’s hilarious Eduardo! But I believe it. So much rides on their selection of a mate.

Cantoral said...

I believe senses have survival value, and very likely we have more than five.

Bill Robertson said...

More like ‘13’
I think I’ve got proof that senses have survival value ..as well as cognitive skills like the ability to focus and shift attention [ link ]

and a lot more.

Eduardo, tell me if this makes sense (it’s kind of a puzzle) ~~>[ link ]

Cantoral said...

The closest idea to a Information Field, I have right now, is based on Adrian Bejan, Structural Law.
He claims that present flow is such that future flow is easier.
He does not define "easier". I believe though, that he discovered something.
He has a book:
Design in Nature.

If he is right, our senses connect to something "out there", besides the four forces we already know.

Work in progress.

Bill Robertson said...

Work in progress.

Something in the present flow of information
remains in sensory storage long enough
to influence the outcome of future flow,
thus making it easier.

Expectation and inference
boost and channel it into coherent and conforming patterns
thereby giving it something from prior flow
on which to build.

I also do not limit myself
to the number of possible senses at work,
providing additional streams of information
that we’re not even aware of.

I don’t know if pre-cognition is the right word
but there is something processing information
below the belt of awareness
hat helps determine the shape
that future flow will take,

Cantoral said...

My problem Bill, is that I want to apply the flow idea before life. At the level of motion of inanimate matter. Like Newton and Einstein. I guess that is too much to ask from professor's Bejan idea. He uses it for thermodynamical systems where past and future are different. I will like to apply it before entropy, at the level of equations of motion.

Oh well.

Bill Robertson said...

Let me see if I understand, you’re looking for quantum information that’s appears instantaneously in two locations without passing through time or space. Quantum teleportation ..(?)

Cantoral said...

No.
Bejan's theory is classical. I just want to see what else can be described with "The Constructal Law". Professor Bejan believes he can explain Design in Nature. He has a book with that name.

Bill Robertson said...

thanks - I think I understand where Bejan is coming from. However, I’m asking to understand what you are looking for. The only thing I can think of is quantum information ..or qubits. Is that in the same field you’re exploring ..?