Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Esalen (day four)

To the mats ..
I’m laying on my back while Joy and Marie are massaging me ..Marie from my head down ..Joy from my feet up. My eyes are closed while Mary gently guides us: “Be aware of your breath ..see who comes into view ..who is it that you feel you want to talk to right now.” Many people flash by ..then I see my dad come into the foreground while others fade into the background. His presence stays. Next I hear Mary say: “Imagine a specific place where you can sit down ..look them in the eyes and, out loud ..tell them what it is you want to say to them ..what it is you are feeling.”I sit with him in his Tucson studio and say:

“Dad, I was at that place you refer to as ‘that place you like to go’ (Esalen). However, right now it doesn’t sound as dismissive as before ..more like an acknowledgment of something I like to do ..a recognition of how I feel. Makes me feel good. I don’t know why I ever expected more. I want to say that I appreciate you remembering what I like. Thank you. I also want to thank you for giving me life ..twice. Once when I was conceived, of course ..then again when I was eighteen and lost. You paved the way for me to go to the university, where I felt most at-home. Now I recognize that, what I once perceived as disinterest in what I was doing ..was actually non-interference with what I was doing. I know how much you value individuality. You were allowing me to ‘be my own man’. Not telling me what you expected me to be. Now I see that as a gift to be cherished. Thank you, dad ..I love you.”

Tears of joy are streaming down my face ..
 
(posted November 1st at UC Santa Cruz)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice finally arrived beautiful congrats

Bill Robertson said...

Thank you ..!

trying to be authentic ..but it’s like my memory of my interpretation of the workshop experience ..so it may be stepped on a couple of times.