Monday, February 21, 2011

Rational Charlie

I admit, I don’t subscribe to a rational model of man. I believe we’re hybrids. Part logic, part emotion, part visual, part verbal and part many other qualities, some of which we don’t even know. We make our way more by heuristic than analytic reasoning. Most of our brilliant discoveries have come from seeing the relationship between vague and loosely connected ideas. Albert Einstein, for example, came up with his theory of relativity only after letting his mind wander [link]. The real world is multi-dimensional and sloppy by nature.
That’s why I had to cringe last night during dinner. Charlie has an insatiable need to be right and a contentious way of dismissing anything to the contrary. In addition, he holds people to standards that no one can meet, not even himself. He scrutinizes other peoples’ speech for statements that he can prove false ..and then points them out as though they’re character flaws. This can lead to some pretty rough exchanges. For instance, when I heard Cindy say “I am moved by things I don’t understand.” Charlie responded “What things, specifically? ..and how can you be moved by something you don’t understand..?” I felt her statement rang true. We’re all creatures of appetite and don’t always act with perfect information. However, I felt Charlie was suggesting “you’re a fool for not behaving in a more rational manner.” Later on in the evening I heard her say “As desires enter me, a picture is formed in me as to what will answer that desire.” Charlie goes “Too passive. You say ‘Desires move into me’. Lacks responsibility of a choice. Furthermore, a picture is non-verbal and external to one’s true nature.” For some reason that’s where I felt compelled to intercede. “Just because she’s speaking in a passive voice doesn’t mean she acting in a passive manner, Charlie. Besides, visualization is primary to human nature while language is subordinate to it. Why do you think the graphical interface made Bill Gates a billionaire ..?” Now he tells me he was trying to impress the lady and I blew it for him.

4 comments:

Cantoral said...

Bill,
professor Antonio Damasio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Damasio

has studied the interaction between mind and emotions. In the past Baruch Spinoza:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Spinoza

did something similar.

Bill Robertson said...

Ah yes, Descartes error. You named the references that informed this post. Spinoza definitely pre-figured modern-day neuroscience. Man, you are well-informed, Dr Cantoral. Thanks

Candace said...

I have many friends who need to argue, then need to be right. It's exhausting to be with them for more than a few hours. You must have the patience of a saint!

Bill Robertson said...

Candace, That’s interesting ..takes about the same amount of time before I feel exhausted too.