Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An illusion

“In the west we tend to project or own notions of mystique and tranquility on Buddhist practice. In reality there’s a lot of acrimony and fighting going on in the monasteries.” ~ Erik Curren [link]

I agree. Buddhists are subject to feelings of hostility and aggression same as everyone else. A book by Rossi Jiyu-Kennett who spent eight years in a Japanese monastery is illustrative [link]. However, I believe there is a difference between Western and Buddhist notions of ‘fighting’. When a practicing Buddhist fights, they are fighting – mindful of the decision to fight – aware of what interpretation brings to the battle – and knowing full well that the real enemy is interpretation. They don’t believe in such things as good or bad fights ..only consequences. And interpretation obscures consequences. In fact, it’s probably the villainy of interpretation that got them into conflict to begin with. I’m reminded of a parable zen master Perry once told us. I call it ‘the battle of evermore’ because I don’t remember the actual title. Nor do I remember the exact words, so I can only paraphrase. It goes something like this:

The battle: One sentient being, unable to escape the cycle of reincarnation, is locked in perpetual battle with a ferocious beast from hell. After many lifetimes of this, he throws down his sword in disgust and says “Enough! I can no longer fight like this.” Suddenly the illusion of the ferocious beast vanishes, the barricade of defensiveness crumbles and the endless cycle of battle ends.

No comments: