Wednesday, June 23, 2010

false memory

I ask Randy how things went at the V.A. He describes his visit in full detail. When I follow up, they tell me he never arrived. I tell them there must be a mistake. They check again and tell me there’s no mistake. I’m like, wtf is going on here. I ask to see his counselor. The counselor tells me about a condition they frequently see called ‘false memory syndrome’ He goes “It’s where you remember things that you planned to do as though you actually did them.” But I go, this was way too elaborate .. I mean, he told me what he had for lunch .. the ride over .. what they talked about in the car, etc.. His counselor goes, “Yeah ..he’s afraid of missing something so he conjures them up. It’s a coping strategy and should go away pretty soon” I’m dumbfounded. He goes on to explain “You’ve heard of the belief where, if you think about something, it can be the same as doing it ..? The book of Matthew says anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery. Well, consider this an extension of that ..where thinking about something can lead to the mistaken belief that it must have happened.” I try to put it in words I can understand “Sounds something like virtual reality ..(?)” “You could say that” Now I’m driving home, going ..OK, did that just happen, or do I only think it happened ..? Now I’m wondering how many things I’ve accomplished that never got beyond the planning stage.

6 comments:

ecelliam said...

Very interesting, I have not encounter anyone,or anything like that ,and I drive DAV vets to the VA hospitald in El Paso, to Albuquerque, But i could tell you about others that display strange, behavior.
I'm always in symphathy towards them though, regardless.

Thank you for posting

Vinisha said...

Sometimes when I plan too much, I wonder if it already happened. This post reminds me of the thin line that allows me to distinguish reality from mere plans.

Shimmerrings said...

Now that's scary... although I've sometimes wondered if something really happened or if I dreamed that it didi.

Bill Robertson said...

Ecelliam ~ I bet you could my friend, thank you.

Bill Robertson said...

Thin line indeed, Vinisha ..I always knew planning could displace reality ..didn’t know it could replace it too. Thanks

Bill Robertson said...

Shimmerrings ~ yeah, I often wonder that myself. Thanks