Friday, June 4, 2010

Aftermath


“What happened ..?”
“You were hit by an IED, dude.”
“No, that was somebody else ..”
“You’re good man, you still got your feet.”
“Where are you ..?”
“Checking your pupils.”
“Where am I ..?”
“On a berm.”
“How did I get here ..?”
“You were blown here ..you’re lucky.”
“Where is here ..I don’t remember ..I can’t see.”
“Don’t worry, it’s temporary ..you’ll see fine in just a moment.”
Back in the States, Johnny has lapses in consciousness where he tells me he leaves his body .. travels back to Iraq and becomes someone else ..just before they get hit by an IED. Each time, he says ..the same conversation takes place. I ask the VA about this and they tell me it’s a documented condition called ‘disassociative fugue’. I tell them it sounds frighteningly supernatural to me. They say it will go away soon.

4 comments:

Elise said...

Very frightening indeed!

I've read about this "disassociative fugue" before, and found it really interesting, but I couldn't imagine what it would be like for someone I know to deal with it.

ecelliam said...

I can relate to this, I deal with these individuals also when I drive them to the VA Med. Centers.
It saddens me.

Thank you

Bill Robertson said...

You are much more informed than I, Elise. I guess we’ll find out what it’s like for people to deal with.

Bill Robertson said...

Thank you ecelliam ..

it's pretty disturbing.