Friday, August 31, 2007

Breakfast of demons

The telephone wakes me in the morning ..it’s Laura asking me if I want to go out for lunch today. I say OK ..stumble out of bed and go downstairs ..where I’m confronted with forces sent to destroy my breakfast ..and thrash my kitchen. While I’m not paying attention, the coffeemaker overflows ..spilling coffee across the counter top, down the cabinets and out over the floor. I stop what I’m doing to mop it up ..and clean the cabinets ..both inside and out. Next, the oatmeal explodes in the microwave ..I stop what I’m doing to remove the mess ..burn my hand on hot sticky oatmeal ..react by swearing and waving my hand in the air to cool ..causing the bowl to crash on the floor ..splattering oatmeal everywhere. I stand and stare ..dumbfounded by the gooey mess I’m in. I breathe deep, wipe everything off and start over again. I’m slicing a mango, wondering if the oatmeal is going to explode again ..when the mango slides out of my hand and the knife cuts into my finger ..sending my composure out of sight. I perform first aid ..wipe the blood and mango juice from the counter top and cabinets ..both inside and out ..scream at whatever demons are screwing with me ..and sit down with a glass of orange juice ..figuring this outta’ hold me till lunch.

6 comments:

msb said...

Somedays.... good thing for orange juice.

Lee William said...

simply orange is a good thing ..that's for sure!!

elise said...

that poor coffee. poor wasted coffee.

Lee William said...

How hilarious you are ..yea, that poor coffee ..it has to deal with me in the morning .. :)

cookiewonton said...

I hate it when the oatmeal turns on you that way. Bad oatmeal!

Lee William said...

it's comforting to hear that exploding oatmeal occurs somewhere besides my kitchen .. :)