Friday, November 16, 2012

Willingness to yield

Occupational therapy:
“Jen, is it really necessary for me to take a behind-the-wheel test for the  6-week   follow-up ..?”
“Well, it is optional but it’ll help make a better case to present the    DMV ..”
     This is where I cut her off to explain ‘the agreement’
“Dr Bryson said she was going to wait for the 6-week follow-up before deciding whether she even needs to notify the DMV ..”
“Well, any doctor can notify the DMV anytime ..”
“Yeah, but we agreed ..”
“Let me explain how it works ..”
“Wait, first let me explain the agreement ..”
“I think I need to tell you how it works first ..” 
I sense things getting a little edgy and now I forget who actually went first but I blame myself for not being more ‘yielding’. Jen has no idea about a verbal agreement I made as an inpatient, which is an exception to the way it works. But if I'd given her a chance to explain how it works, I’d have understood hat it’s totally up to the whim of the doctor and nothing I could say was really going to matter much. Not even the agreement. It’s out of our hands and that’s good enough for me ..yielding soul I aspire to be.
Jen
Therapist Extraordinaire

No comments: