Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Santa Cruz

I’m sitting drinking tea at Merrill and chatting with some of Terry’s classmates. They seem exceptionally well informed and receptive. Certainly not the way I remember myself back then. I’m impressed. They express a keen interest in what’s going on at Esalen and ask me if there’s a revival of sixties radicalism (!?) Wayne, a poli sci student, has pretty detailed knowledge of events going back to the Vietnam era. This feels erringly familiar. I ask him if he’s ever heard of the Iran-Contra affair.
“Yeah, that had something to do with selling guns to Iran ..in exchange for hostages.”
“That’s right. Anything else ..? “
Yeah, they used the money they made to fund the Contras.”
“And you believe that ..?”
 “Well now wait a minute, I do remember something about a conspiracy to sell drugs to support the Contras ..(?)”
Now I definitely feel like the last to know. I go for a walk through the woods and find a place where I can sit and watch the sunset over Monterey Bay. I shake my head. I’m happy to see our system of higher education is working well. They’re teaching conspiracy theories that are way more advanced than mine. These kids are getting out of here with a mind as sharp as Occam's razor.

2 comments:

brad4d said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor An editing too in my kit...

Bill Robertson said...

Thanks man ..