Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The prophesies of Charlie

I think Charlie is trying to convince me he’s a prophet. He doesn’t come right out and say so because he knows that might sound bogus (even though I’ve never denied the possibility of prophesy). So he is going about it indirectly. He begins to narrate a series of recent events, in a telling manner, hoping I will reach that conclusion myself. He knows suggestion is more powerful than direct assertion. First he tells me that his mother is psychic. When his sister lost her car keys in the park, his mother emptied her head of all preconceptions and strolled randomly through the park until she came to a stop. When she looked down by her feet, there were the keys. Now I don’t doubt this story ..but I do believe he’s planting the suggestion that he inherited psychic abilities. Earlier this week he goes into a psychic/head shop. When he asks the owner what time the next bus is due, a female customer overhears and offers him a ride home. It turns out she’s an aspiring actress and tells him she can foresee a future where he finishes writing his screenplay and they meet again. Astonishing, he says. He tells me he is actually planning to write a screenplay but never mentioned it to anyone. I believe he’s offering evidence of supernatural forces at work. The next day he enters a rare coin shop owned by a friend and buys an ounce of gold (for around $1,300.00). Before he leaves, his friend throws in an extra coin for free. “Man, nobody does that ..ever” he says “..unless they see the end of times.” He goes on to say “Bill, I think it would be a good idea for you to put more gold in your survival kit. ..you’ll sleep better at night.” Now he’s recommending that I act on these forces. Then he tells me not to be alarmed, but he has experienced a profound breakthrough recently. More like a series of epiphanies actually. He predicts a tsunami hitting the coast of California, much like the one that struck Japan. He tells me that, as a   “psychologist” ,  I must surely know that society treats its prophets like psychotics. He recommends I organize my neighbors in the canyon and begin sandbagging and building retaining walls in anticipation. I tell him I’ll think about it. Skeptic that I am. Interestingly enough, he never once said he was a prophet. Although I came away with the impression he did. Implications are far more convincing than direct assertions. He got me to conjure-up this one by myself.

4 comments:

ecelliam said...

Nice!
Good read, good writing .
Thanks.

Bill Robertson said...

Thank you my friend ..

IzzyGumbo said...

Charlie's alter then? ;) I'm enjoying your writing all over the place very much.

Bill Robertson said...

my writing is all over the place ..so glad you enjoy. Charlie has multiple dimensions ..and personalities ..slightly more than average