Friday, October 1, 2010

Gold coast


Beautiful autumn day. Sunlight passes horizontally through the eucalyptus trees and turns to gold ..I’m fully in love with this time of year. Out on the deck, the air is perfectly still ..there’s no breeze coming from any direction. Makes me think about the waves I’m missing on the beach. I pop a couple tabs of ginseng ..hop into the alfa ..turn up Blind Faith and pull way too far into traffic lanes on Anapamu Street. Real swift. I pop it into reverse and swing my head around when I realize the cars have stopped to let me through. I proceed ..giving them a courtesy wave .. then head around the Milpas bend. I pass by the marquis for the County Bowl ..and remind myself to keep an eye on the road. I pass by Trader Joe’s ..giving the right of way to cars already in the circle ..and shoot out on highway 101 ..listening to Steve Winwood singing ‘Sea of Joy’. I exit almost immediately on Olive Mill ..downshift to 15 mph on Channel Drive and check out the tide and the surf and the sun shining on the water. Perfect glassy conditions with crisp, waist-high waves peeling off Hammonds. I pull over ..grab my Churchills’ ..knowing that the fins of choice now days are Vipers ..feeling a slightly stupid sense of brand loyalty. I spend five minutes on the sand doing breathing exercises and sizing up the situation. I take a running start .. dive into an oncoming wave and surface on the backside feeling free ..like the wave washed over my brain and removed all constraints .. putting me in perfect condition for whatever happens next.

4 comments:

ecelliam said...

I read you, and I feel as though I'm right there, it has to do with the fact that I'm so familier with what you are discribing, But it's mostly because you are a very telented writer, I truly enjoy your writing, And I miss your comments . I haven't run out of reading from you, I'm just going back to what you have already writen. Thank you so much, and keep writing.

Shimmerrings said...

It's getting to be your summer, isn't it...

Bill Robertson said...

Thank you, my friend ..! Local events kinda’ write themselves. I definitely need to get out of my own box and see what you’ve been writing.

Bill Robertson said...

Shimmerrings ..that’s right. Fog rolled in this afternoon tho .. I drove to zen mountain retreat and got above it. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. Thanks.