Friday, March 19, 2010

Buzzed

I walk to state street and get buzzed sipping iced coffee at ‘the bean’, while watching tourists stream in and out of starbucks across the street. Ryan shows me a clip of women skim boarding on youtube ..his daughter is competing this summer ..I tell him I’d like to go see that. Now I’m watching an intense game of ‘go’ next to us .. “takes cojones” he says. I go what, playing ‘go’ ..? No, competitive skim boarding .. she’s cracked her head twice already. I go “No shit ..why don’t you make her wear a helmet or something ..?” when I remember she’s grown up now ..and I’ve never seen anybody wearing a helmet skim boarding. We duck into the ‘fiesta’ to see the movie ‘runaways’ ..but 30 seconds into it we realize we’re watching ‘repo men’. ‘Runaways’ ‘repo men’ ..it’s a common mistake, I tell him. We switch to door number two. ‘Runaways’ isn’t bad, kinda’ historical ..shows me how little I know about Joan Jett. About three-quarters of the way through, I’m thinking I’d like to see more musical performance than personal drama ..but I guess I was expecting something like ‘prey for rock and roll’, which is actually in my collection of concert DVDs, along with Tom Petty and Flyleaf. Afterward, Ryan asks if I want to go see ‘English Beat’ at Soho’s tomorrow ..takes me longer than usual to find them in my mental collection of 80’s music ..which is pretty slim and makes me think how pathetic I am ..that and how old I am.

4 comments:

WAYWARD!! said...

hey!! ur (scattered) writing is amazingly descriptive. Steady movement of words(conversation here) with gradual analysis and reflection.

cheers :)

Bill Robertson said...

Wow .. a good review. I needed that. Thank you so much.

You’ve made my day :)

WAYWARD!! said...

hey! did u receive my mail ?

Bill Robertson said...

no. i'm afraid i did not receive your email ..