Friday, September 25, 2009

Gone

Laura calls from Austin and tells me her truck has just been repossessed. I rack my brains trying to think of what I can do to help, but the best I can come up with is .. “let me see what I can do.” Guess she’s heard that often enough because she says “ ..that means you aren't going to do anything” ..and hangs up pissed. Well, that’s disturbing news ..I feel my heart racing and my mind spinning. I’m frantically trying to find a way to help, but keep coming up short. Perhaps I should make a few phone calls and get some advice. I figure this probably isn’t the best time to do that, so ..I grab my fins and head for the shore ..the words “aren't going to do anything” still ringing in my ears. The water is calm and classy, again ..like yesterday. Offshore conditions have definitely prevailed. I swim vigorously, then relax and float. My heart has stopped racing and my mind has stopped spinning. I still hear the words “aren't going to do anything” circling my head ..but at much longer intervals. I still haven’t figured out what to do ..but at least I’m not taking it out on myself anymore. Hopefully clarity will prevail.

2 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

I know what it feels like to feel helpless in another's situation. We can't be responsible for everything, we can't fix everything, and it's not fair to place guilt on others, who are not responsible for another's sad situation. But that's what happens when our strings are tied to another's... and the puppet dance begins. I think you did the right thing... you went swimming in the ocean.

W L Robertson said...

that's where I do my best thinking ..or no thinking at all. Thanks Shimmerrings