Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Holiday in Appalachia (continued)

I go across the creek this morning to have a look at the place. My neighbor Donn has me holding one end of a measuring tape while he holds the other. However, it's still not clear to me where his property ends and the other begins. Looks to me like he’s going to have to get a surveyor out here. He says: “No, I have to get an attorney out here ..there’s no ‘site map’ .. the property lines were determined by a hand shake back in the 1920’s .” A few more neighbors arrive. I ask if they’d be willing to split the difference. See if they can get Tom to put up a stone wall ..6 inches wide. They tell me that would be crazy. As long as they feel they have the ‘right of easement’ ..they're not backing down.

“Even if it means putting Tom out of business ..?” I ask.

“Oh, you bet. We don't care.”

“What if the next guy that comes along has more money ..and wants to build something along the lines of a Disney World theme park ..?”

“Nobody in their right mind would buy this property ..not in this market ..!”

“A developer might..”

Now they’re looking at me like I’m out of my mind ..and I walk away, still hearing the sound of banjoes, and thinking: “They ain’t used to seein’ nuthin ‘round here ‘cept fer that ol’ abandoned shack ..and I s’pose they intend on keepin it that way.”

2 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

There's nothing more stubborn than blatant ingorance... and nothing more ignorant than non-sensical stubborness. Tsk tsk tsk... and hey, seems like I remember something about those Appalachians and those banjos... and pig squeelin'... :o Yep, he'll have to get an attorney, alright... or a shotgun. Nah, maybe a banjo would do :p

Lee William said...

You're hilarious ..! Yep, ignorance and stubborness go hand in hand. I'm wondering if it isn't just downright cruelty. Maybe something that a sweet sounding tune on the banjo would help ~ Thanks