Monday, December 10, 2007

Divinity rules

I was raised to believe that America is the land of the free ~ and a sanctuary from religious persecution. So naturally I was alarmed to discover that it all depends on which church I go to. The Republican Administration has chosen to identify itself with the religious right ..primarily Evangelical Christians. The evangelical community has arrogantly staked the moral high-ground ~ and declared themselves the only legitimate believers entitled to hold power. They have adopted their own form of religious persecution by creating a test to discriminate against public office holders. It goes something like this: 1) do you follow divine guidance and 2) do your prayers get answered by the same God as ours. Mormonism is a cult ..that speaks in code ..Catholics seek world domination ..Jews aren’t even Christian ..and Muslims are fanatics. I’m afraid that If I met up with a Christian conservative in some rural backwater ~ I wouldn’t stand a chance ~ I practice zen buddhism ~ there’s no place for me in their world order. In the past, I have been accused of:

1) following false prophets
2) pagan idolatry
3) being a California nutcase
4) belonging to an anti-American terrorist group
5) being a member of a fringe religious cult from the East that holds life in low regard

I mean, wasn’t it the Buddhists who set themselves on fire to protest the war in Vietnam ~ how different is that than a suicide bomber in Afghanistan ~ how many virgins were they promised in heaven ..? (someone actually said this to me)

Do I feel protected by the constitution ..? not really, certainly not with a Republican Administration that is slowly relieving me of my constitutional rights ~ while turning around and accusing me of being ‘anti-Christian’ whenever I say I want leaders who are ‘pro-constitution’. The constitution clearly states that power and liberty are a ‘human right’ ~ not a ‘god-given privilege’ ~ there was a reason our founding fathers called for ‘separation of church and state’. It’s real easy for someone to pass laws ~ based on the whim of their particular beliefs ~ that hurt or destroy people’s lives. I find the current state of affairs appalling and downright frightening. My sister wants to move back to the United States after living in Toronto for 20 years. I tell her it’s not the same place anymore. I want to pack my bags and leave for Canada tomorrow. About the best I can hope for is that the religious right will divide itself into so many factions ..they’ll be easier to conquer in next year’s elections.

4 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

Oh, geeze... I hear ya. I was raised up Baptist. When I began enjoying a taste of Native American type spirituality, my whole family thought I was being deceived by satan, and that I was going to hell, for sure. I remember my niece walking with me, down the beach, trying to understand, and finally ending the conversation, in tears, "I just wanna see you in heaven, when we are all there," she cried. I assured here that I would be 'there'... wherever 'there' is.
There were many long discussions between my dad and I. After so many years he just gave up and was ok with where I was at. He knew my Heart, afterall. When my dad died, however, it was a fiasco. My dad had a living will and there was to be no intervention, when his time came. Basically, we had to watched him waste away within a 7 day period, from lack of food or water. It was the single most horrible thing I had ever had to witness (well, save my husband's suicide thing). That good old fundamentalist thing had to play out, even there. When my dad would not cross over, my brother decided my dad was afraid to go, so began casting the evil spirit of fear out of him, speaking in tongues, etc. Soon thereafter, when he didn't cross over, my mother then began pleading to god to please forgive my dad, and let him pass on, please forgive him for whatever it was he might have done, so that he would not have to suffer, any longer. When that didn't push him over, they got together and decided that it was ME holding him back... that daddy didn't want to go on unless he knew I was gonna be ok... speaking of my religious and spiritual stuff, no doubt. I would have no part of that conversation, and said how horrible it was to have to watch him suffer like that, but then for them to put that guilt trip on me??? Back off, Jack. The thing is, my dad was going through these Cheynes-Stokes respirations, in his final hours... a quite natural function when the body is shutting down, and lemme tell ya, ya ain't goin' till it's done. I hope no one ever has to witness this most heartbreaking thing for anyone to ever have to watch. Bottom thing, here, for me... it was enough dealing with his dying... but then to throw all that religious stuff on me too??? I loved my daddy like there was no tomorrow, but you can have all that religious right stuff. We are ALL LOVE... all a part of Creation... all a part of Divinity... no matter what our spiritual inclination. People forget about what Christ was really all about.

Lee William said...

You speak very sweetly ..thanks for allowing me to rant ..and reminding me not to think .and blog so divisively

so much suffering ..it’s humbling

Shimmerrings said...

Oh, I didn't think you were being divisive, at all... merely expressing the same frustration we all experience, who break away from the norm. I wouldn't return there for anything... I finally got beyond the FEAR that held me back from Truth. You're very sweet, however.

msb said...

My friend moved to Cornville, AZ. She hung her prayer flags and Tankas. Put up her buddhist statues an small alter. She invited her neighbors over to get to know them. She is a very straight dignified PHD therapist in her 60's. Owns a jewelry store a few towns away. Two of the people in their ignorance asked her if she would sell them some dope. Puzzled by this she asked them why they might mistake her for a drug dealer. And they pointed to all the Buddhist imagery and had just assumed she would have drugs. We laughed so hard we thought we were going to wet our squaw skirts. :+}