Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Renewal

Listening to Ryan Adams on CD ..swallowing ginseng pills and washing them down with black coffee ..the news from Iraq says the cycle of destruction and revenge continues ..leaving no room for a cycle of stability and healing ..I shut my eyes ..turn the page ..open my eyes and realize today is the last day of spring .. the last day to do spring cleaning ..panic sets in ..calls go out ..help arrives ..and another kind of cycle of destruction and renewal begins inside. The contents of my house follow a predictable course ..almost like an invisible conveyor belt. New stuff arrives ..old stuff goes into the garage (renewal) ..and the stuff that’s been floating around the garage too long heads out to goodwill ..or into the garbage (destruction). Inside this cycle ..there are smaller cycles ..like wheels within a wheel. Laundry, for instance ..it has regular, delicate and damn near worn out ..I like to watch the water dissolve yesterday’s dirt ..and vanish down the drain. I don’t know why ..I guess it gives me some kind of vicarious sense of renewal.

2 comments:

msb said...

And Summer begins. Sorry I missed you.

Lee William said...

Indeed it does ..sorry I missed you too ..hope you had a fun solstice day