Friday, September 29, 2006

Scripts

Most of my carefully chosen words ..and well-intended speeches ..generally fall apart as soon as the first line is uttered. I figure it’s because other people are not reading from the same script as me ..they have their own. My neighbor, Richelle, is a single mother going through hell right now trying to raise her sixteen year old daughter, Aria. Simple exchanges like, “How’d it go today?” ..can turn into shouting matches that end up with mom fleeing from the house and sitting across my patio table from me ..badly shaken. This time, I thought I’d be prepared. I remember Richelle once telling me that there’s a car in the garage waiting for Aria ..however, she’s having trouble getting her driver’s license. So, I ask : “What’s the biggest issue facing Aria right now ..I mean, is there any one thing that you can think of that usually starts these fights ?” Now, I fully expect to hear something about the car and driver’s license ..pretty hot topics for a growing teen I figure ..and I’m prepared to speak to these issues. Instead, Richelle starts reciting lines that sound like they’re ripped right out of the pages of a psychotherapy session. She says Aria is dealing with issues of self-worth and approval ..things she’s not getting from her father right now ..because he’s never there. She goes on to tell me about how girls her age look up to their father as a role model for dealing with authority figures and interpersonal relationships ..the biggest issue she’s dealing with right now is abandonment ! And I’m like .. OK, I guess I can throw out my script about cars.

4 comments:

Cynnie said...

I hate psycho babble..

Lee William said...

I hate psycho wards ~~ :)

it's the little things said...

Raising an emotional, hormonal daughter is tough work. My 11 year old is pushing the boundaries these days. No matter WHAT I say, she ends up crying and hating me!
The funniest piece of advice I ever heard was that you should bury your teenagers up to their neck in the backyard, and dig them out when they turn 20. Some days I find myself eyeing that spot under the oak tree... :)

Lee William said...

How funny ..! I know how tough it can be though. I think what I was trying to say is that adolescence can be so unpredictable that often my best laid plans and mental ‘scripts’ have to be scrapped when dealing with the subject ..