Saturday, August 12, 2017

Personal Best

I saw this movie on a date in 1982 when it first came out. It was playing at the Art Theater. I had no idea what it was going to be about but was really impressed afterward ..only not for the same reasons my date thought. I liked it for the competitive track events (I’m a distance runner). She thought I only liked it for the female nudity and lesbian scenes. I filed it under failed date and remembered it as a ‘tepid indie film’ (shows how easily I'm influenced by the opinions of others). I didn’t see it again until 30 years later. I was blown away. 

First, it’s a story about Olympic competition. It addresses the issue: what happens when two athletes competing in the same event are romantically involved? Since men and women don’t compete in the same events ..it focuses on a lesbian couple from the women’s team. Will their feelings interfere with competition ? Will competition betray their trust? It handles these issues skillfully. Secondly, it was set in San Luis Obispo CA. Cal Poly has a reputation for sending women track athletes to the Olympic trials. It was also filmed on the track in Eugene Oregon during the actual 1980 Olympic trials ..and features real Olympians. An incredible feat of realism. Mariel Hemingway’s performance was powerful and convincing. She trained nine moths prior …she even looked like a runner. Olympic athlete Patrice Donnelly was a natural. Their relationship was just a part of the story. Made in the early 80’s ..the film was 20 years ahead of it’s time.

No comments: