Sunday, February 7, 2016

Acting class girl

I mostly date girls I already know.  Usually colleagues or classmates.  My second year of grad school I made my first 'cold call'. She was walking ahead of me on her way to class. I was intrigued by the way she looked from behind so I slowed down to keep from overtaking her. She looked kinda' like a hippy – wearing a white halter top, sandals and faded jeans. She fit her jeans like a glove. I sped up to see if she was what I imagined from the front. Only more so, which compelled me to ask:
“Where are you heading?”
Her:  “English lit”
I was studying language ability so I thought English may be a common interest – as well as an opening line.
Me: “Interesting! I like language. Could we perhaps get together and speak English sometime?” (lame, I know, but I didn’t have much time)
Her: "Uh, OK ..”
At dinner I discover that her real passion is acting and she’s an understudy in the play ‘As You Like It’. I abandon my plans to talk about ‘English as a second language’ and ask her to tell me more about the play. She talks excitedly about the lead actress – how charismatic she is – about how she plays both a man and a women and pulls it off. Then she slows way down and, almost as a boring afterthought, asks about my thesis.
Me: “Uh, it’s about how people make inferences to understand speech (..?)”
Her: “What does that mean?”
Instead of giving her an academic spiel – I go:
“You know how when you’re acting ...you don’t spell everything out You kinda' let the audience tell the story?"
Her: “Yeah ..?”
Me: “I study how they do that.”
For the first time I see a light go on and her eyes open wide with interest.
“That’s exactly what they’re teaching us in acting class.”
I Suddenly went from long-hair surfer dude Jeff Spicoli to Professor-dude. She’s looking at me almost admiringly. I learn a little about Shakespeare, her prior marriage and how English is really a back-up plan. Then she tells me she’s kinda’ crushing on someone in the Drama Dept.
Me: “Would that be the lead actress by any chance?” (risky, I know ...but it’s the only person she’s talked about so far).
Her: “Uh, yeah ..how did you know?”
Me: “I dunno’ ...inference I suppose ..(?)” (I'm feeling  full of myself. I can handle a date with a total stranger. But the obvious question is: why did she agree to go out with me?)
Her: “I dunno ..I felt uncomfortable with you following me like that ...maybe it was a relief to just  get it over with (?)”

No comments: