Saturday, January 2, 2016

New sensation

I grew up in the low-tech era where you got most of your dating advice from Penthouse forum or pop songs. One song went like this: “ .. if you love her .. you must take her .. somewhere where she’s never been before.” I found it most valuable. Take-out food on a picnic table at Mount Saint Mary’s in Palos Verdes offers a panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean from what looks like farmland. Good dinner date. Who hasn’t seen the inside of a restaurant before? Thousand Steps in Laguna was like no other beach in Southern California. You could walk through a cave, float in Grecian-like pools carved out of stone then dive off a low cliff and take a short swim into a secluded cove. Not for the faint of heart but definitely more exciting than sunbathing. The reservoir in the Hollywood hills is a rarely seen oasis above Los Angeles. I once had a date tell me she felt high just being there. Another told me she was dreading the traffic going back. It was lost on her. One time a girl started undressing me at a rooftop dance club in Long Beach. It was our first date. A new experience beats a fancy restaurant anytime. It alters the senses and shifts your perspective, which can even put someone like me in a better light.

No comments: