Saturday, October 4, 2014

Battle of evermore

We've been at war my whole life. So why am I so anxious for it to be over and peace to resume? What makes me think that war is short-term? It never results in a lasting peace. It only creates more enemies ..new threats and more war. I'm beginning to think it may be a way of life (x). I’m reminded of a Buddhist parable Jisho Perry once told us. I call it ‘the battle of evermore’ because I don’t remember the actual title. Nor do I remember the words. I can only paraphrase. It goes something like this:
A sentient being, unable to escape the cycle of reincarnation, is locked in perpetual battle with another being: a ferocious beast from hell. After several lifetimes of this, he grows disgusted. No longer fearing death he declares: “Enough! I can no longer live like this" and throws down his sword. Suddenly the illusion of the ferocious beast vanishes, the barricade of defensiveness crumbles and he's free from the endless cycle of battle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only...