Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Grounding

Someone told me about ‘grounding exercises’ the other day. I think they may be useful as a memory aid. I guess another term for it would be ‘focusing’. She said the way to hold a moment in your head for more than a fraction of an instant is to list a few details that you see and a few details that you hear, smell and feel. She hikes so she gave me this example. Watch the trail moving beneath your feet ..notice the flowers that grow on the side. Listen to the sound your boot makes hitting the ground ..even notice the silence in between. Notice the smell of the trees and the dust. Feel of the sun on your skin and the passing shade of trees. Or, if you’re like me .. notice the feeling of the ground on the soles of your boots (or running shoes) .. which is something I’ve been working on in outpatient. Don’t know any studies that back this up but it  sounds credible enough.

No comments: