Sunday, March 4, 2012

Brain freeze

The offshore wind has beaten the onshore to a standstill. Wicked conditions at Butterfly. I cruise Channel Drive with the top down and a Grateful Dead tune bouncing along. The islands look so close I could reach out and grab them. I see paddle-boarders glide by on water that looks like ice. I take a running leap and plunge into the one thing that reminds me it’s winter in California ..the water also feels like ice. It knocks the shit outta’ me and makes me scream. A ten-year old girl in a winter-suit paddles by and asks if I’m all right. I feel like an idiot .. like I’m so under-dressed for the occasion. I can see the wetsuit I left hanging in the garage and wish like hell I could reach back there and grab it. I swim back to shore and thaw-out from brain-freeze. I guess a walk on the beach is what’s happening today.

No comments: