Friday, January 20, 2012

Hopi prophecy

“A sign of the end of time is when people mistake the work of man for the work of nature”
When I first heard this, it made me think of things like processed foods, formica counter-tops and modern highways. Today it struck me how this prophecy also covers what I believe is going on inside my head. I often mistake artificial rules of logic for native brain waves. However, my thoughts don’t follow rules of logic. Left to their own device, they act more like heuristics .. and a heuristic is more like a convenient rule-of-thumb. The arrogance of believing that mental processes are logical processes puts me in a position of feeling overconfident and defensive about my ideas. I mean, after all .. I arrived there by commonly accepted principles. Disagree with me and you must not be clear on the fundamentals of rational thought. Needless to say, I don’t often get it right.

8 comments:

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Very good.
Hey buddy, I'm back in Illinois!

Bill Robertson said...

Good to hear my friend.

fessell810 said...

I wrote a poem I called "processed faith". The religion of man is like processed food. It has its roots in nourishment that is good for you but you really shouldn't partake of it or follow it.

http://fessell810.blogspot.ca/2012/04/processed-faith.html

Bill Robertson said...

Yes, I read it. Stirring. I do respect the vision .. don’t feel compelled to follow the institution.

Thanks

IzzyGumbo said...

Oddly I'm like this but my arrogant mental process don't seem rational to others, it's a strange way to live...

Bill Robertson said...

Not to worry ..rational thought is much too overrated

Kiran Ahmad said...

Some how it seems true as well.....

Bill Robertson said...

thanks! I sometimes arrive at true somehow ..