Thursday, December 29, 2011

The path

One day, during my sophomore year of college, I was on the 605 freeway with a group of friends heading to a club in Long Beach. I’d been studying for a course in neuro-anatomy that day and bits and pieces of the material were still rattling around my head. Then something occurred that I haven’t forgotten since. Like a bolt of lightening, I was struck by the implications of it all. As clear as the traffic outside, I had visions of sensory signals traveling along neuro-pathways ..animating ..registering and guiding us to move to the beat of the music (we were heading to a dance club). I went speechless so long that my friends were asking if everything was OK. I could see it clearly, like it was happening right in front of me ..but I couldn’t put it into words. I responded with a curt “uh, nothing.” For better or worse ..or for whatever reason I may never know ..it altered the course of my life and set me on a path that I’m still on today. It informs almost two-thirds of what I see and do ..while the rest remains a mystery, which is where it’s likely to stay.