Tuesday, May 11, 2010

He's gone


“He’s just not the same anymore” his mother says “Does he ever talk about it ..?” I ask “The only thing he ever mentioned was the time he had to retrieve his friend’s body from a supply truck that exploded. It was too gruesome for me ..he’s just not the same anymore.” He can sit at a crowded table with friends and just smile and not say anything for hours. His prior relationships have ended and he can’t remember most of the people he went to high school with. “He isn’t who he was when he went in” a former girlfriend tells me. He can’t drive ..traffic laws and street signs elude him. It scared her to death one night when he drove for miles and did not stop for a single red light. Later on I find out he didn’t really learn to drive until he was in Iraq, and that was mostly on unmarked desert roads. He’s not aware of it when he hits curbs on both side of a residential street. He misses other customary signs of danger as well. He’ll blindly walk across a busy boulevard to reach a starbucks and meet friends. I’m reminded of a line from a book by John Irving and tell him to keep passing the open windows.

8 comments:

ecelliam said...

And I can't even imagine the whole of the matter, the untold that we don't hear about, the tragity of this, Chaney's war..
I was thinking about me, half way on what you have written, because I can't talk, suddendly I realize that it doesn't campare, even compare with this.

Bill Robertson said...

Thank you ..

I’m documenting cases I see at comm college student services. If you’re interested. Click on these.
Victor’s war
More Victors

Fairy Whispers said...

Sad and thought provoking:(

Colourmejade said...

My brother and his wife were soldiers in the army. I should say I dislike them, I love them... but I do dislike them for their harshness- their brashness- is what irks me.
But another, very dear to me, came back from Afghanistan with dead eyes.

I have a new blog old friend...

Bill Robertson said...

oh my goodness, Elise ..my heart just skipped a beat.

i think i see a whole generation of dead eyes.

..thank you so much.

Bill Robertson said...

Fairy whispers ~ that's true ..sad and thought-provoking but unfortunately real-life during wartime.

Jennifer Dabbs said...

This is very sad. It sucks when people don't realize and appreciate the tremendous sacrifice that soldiers make for their country. They go through hell so we can sleep in peace at night. And a lot of them are so young, they are following orders, hoping for the best.

Bill Robertson said...

very true ..they're so young, they think these are the ways of the world ..then go numb