Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The crapshoot

The headline says: “The pace of foreclosures is slowing down in California” ..and it makes me feel good to think that more people are able to afford homes and, by extension ..the economy is getting better. Reading on, however, it turns out I’m wrong. Just as many people are in default as ever .. but fewer of them are going the distance to foreclosure. That’s good news. I tell myself it’s because banks are learning that it’s better to let people stay in their homes ..they lose money auctioning off foreclosed property. I used to tell people, facing foreclosure, always go to the bargaining table ..bankers are reasonable people ..right ? Well, it didn’t always work out that way and now I’m finding out I was seriously mistaken. Banks don’t act reasonably ..they are not good business people ..they’re order takers. And they are not learning anything new (as I had hoped). It says here that the only reason they’re showing leniency now is because they’re afraid if they don’t ..the government will change the rules and allow homeowners to protect their property in bankruptcy court. Now I’m reading where Bank of America insists they can sell foreclosed properties profitably. Since this runs counter to my beliefs, I look back at the article ..and shake my head. My mistake .. Bank of America didn’t say they could sell foreclosed properties profitably .. they said they could sell them more efficiently. Now, I feel a sliding sensation I sometimes get while reading about the economy ..like the wheels of my car aren’t firmly on the road. I’m sitting at my computer but I have this feeling I’m in a sideways drift. Like everything I know is wrong ..or at least suspect. Now I’m wondering how often I misinterpret what I read. Now I’m wondering how often I misread what other people are telling me. Now I’m wondering how often other people misread what I say ..and think I’m deranged. I remember somebody once told me that communication is a probabilistic event. Like a crapshoot. Now I’m wondering whether or not I should read ‘The Glass Bead Game’ by Hesse. Now I’m asking myself what the hell that has got to do with anything.

2 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

I love where your mind goes... it always cracks me up.

I realize, often, when what I have just said has been misunderstood... and I wonder, sometimes, why I don't try and correct that... instead of just looking at them, while they are looking at me, and knowing they are thinking I am nuts. Sometimes it's just not worth the effort. As the days go on, I say less and less... and I'm ok with that...


The banks let my niece sit in her house for months and months... it paid off, in the long run... in this economy (in some parts/classes) people just aren't buying... they played the waiting game, now she's back up again, and still in her house. Yeah, the bank would have lost. I can't see the banks ever being about helping people, if they can't turn a dime. And I really, really, really am disgusted with the folks who bellow about the have-nots... it's so disheartening. The world has changed. Or maybe it's just mine.

Bill said...

The world has changed ..and so have we Sarah.

I wasn’t intending to write about banks (how boring) ..but I kept noticing how much of the article I was mis-reading ..and it called into question my own feeble understanding of the subject. I occasionally try and observe inferences I make while reading (which is also kind of boring too so they don’t often appear in my blog ..lol)

So happy to hear about your sister tho ..