Friday, November 21, 2008

Fire update

Helicopters routinely hover then pass. Still smells like someone had a campfire in my backyard. Mark and Amanda are home after spending the week in Santa Cruz ..she’s expecting and didn’t want to share the air she was inhaling around here. It’s all right now .. our homes were spared. It’s been a hectic week though .. I had roommates who were made homeless by the fire. They’re taken care of .. I’m surprised how quickly that went. They told me that insurance companies subscribe to the ‘broken window’ theory of economics (?) .. the faster they get a neighborhood restored .. the fewer claims they get for theft and vandalism later. I can already hear the sound of hammers pounding ..and a new cycle of teardown and regrowth begins (my way of putting it philosophically).

4 comments:

Shimmerrings said...

How wonderful that you opened your home to others... I had wondered how that might be working... or, if you, yourself might've been camping out... thank goodness you were spared, and prayers for those who are on the mend...

lee said...

Thank you so much ..I'm still amazed at how quickly the fire came and went ..and how much was destroyed

when I went to the community where my friends live ..Jeff kept telling me to stop looking for what's gone and look for what's left.

Shimmerrings said...

How wonderful that they are at that place, already, of seeing what is left, verses what is no longer... a lotta strength in that.

Sorry, I deleted an earlier comment, felt it was inappropriate, sometimes I do go on... :s

lee said...

Shimmerrings ~ Wonderful indeed ..Jeff is very present-minded ..and more resilient for it. Thanks